Saturday, September 12, 2009

Vanitas Still Life


Vanitas Still Life, 2009. 18" x 14". acrylic on canvas.

Here I have dealt with the way in which I feel art and architecture has extirpated itself from my life. The canvas with easel on the right has turned its back to the viewer. On the upturned table a t-square lays at an impossible angle; a break in it occurs out of view, obfuscated by the canvas. I positioned the t-square in a reverse of the heroic diagonal, a rising diagonal, to give it the appropriate lugubrious connotation.

The candle has the budding potential to light the entire scene ablaze in a bloom of fire. This is the vanitas, the meaningless and terseness of hopes and dreams. As I vacillate over whether or not I will ever get back into architecture and art, the painting reminds me to revere the ephemeral qualities of life.

2 comments:

  1. DUDDEEE I love this! I know Art and Architecture will be back in your life in no time...keep that head up bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Matt, i've been tryin to keep a positive attitude about it.

    ReplyDelete