Friday, April 30, 2010

James Dean


James Dean, 2000. 11" x 17". oil pastel on paper.

Sketch I did of Dean from a calendar I had with photographs from the famous sweater series. I had an enormous interest in the man as well as what he kind of stood for during my high school years. He embodied a coolness unattainable to me. I watched every move me made in his films and tried to emulate his ways of standing or how he looked at someone. It was definitely a huge failure and while my Dad was berating me for whatever stupid thing I had done at the time, he called me 'James Dean in a D-grade movie'. Dad didn't think much of Dean's acting ability, often told me so and I guess a D movie was a few steps lower than a B movie. I most likely was over acting to whatever they had punished me with so I guess the putdown had merit.

No comments:

Post a Comment