Tuesday, March 15, 2011

No Christian Symbolism in Digital Flowers


No Christian Symbolism in Digital Flowers, 2011. Digital vector art. Illustrator CS2.

This is a work I copied from a Dutch master that I can no longer find the name of. (I'll edit this when I locate the painting and his name ***edit*** The painter's name is Jan Frans van Dael.) The work was done in Illustrator and you can see I became more relaxed with the program as I went along. I started in the bottom with the roses, worked upward and I feel the flowers at the top of the still life came out looking more natural.

Religious images were forbidden in the Dutch Protestant Church, so flowers and other items in paintings took on symbolic meanings to get around this. These synthetic images of flowers contain no hidden meanings.

No comments:

Post a Comment