Sunday, January 8, 2012

Liminal Ram



Liminal Ram, 2011. 18" x 24". Pencil, acrylic, oil pastel, chalk and gold flake on paper.

This is another addition to the series on Jason and the Argonauts. Depicted here is the Golden Fleece. The ram who's pelt Jason quested to find. Emblazoned on the male sheep's head is a the female reproductive system. The uterus and cervix in pink on it's forehead. The fallopian tubes below the horns terminate in the ram's ears. The eyes become ovaries. While Jason labored to legitimize his royal seat by obtaining the Golden Fleece my wife and I have struggled with conceiving a child. The problem is mainly on my end and it weights heavy upon me. The words "fallo" and "child birth" can be seen scrawled at the bottom of the page. Fallo in Spanish can mean "failure". I used it as a hint for fallopian tubes to find the reproductive system hidden in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment