Monday, July 2, 2012

My first ever gallery showing as an Adult!!!




My first showing of any work as an adult was at ZIP 37's ZIP! POP! Show in Denver. I loathe Pop Art, but when I saw the advert for it on Craigslist I had to give it a shot. Oddly enough I had been reading the loveable curmudgeon Robert Hughes' Shock of the New and going back over the sections on Pop I got my inspiration from works of Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Anselm Kiefer, and Gerhard Richter as well as some current events involving monsters and the education system. I didn't actually have the work made until after it was selected. I'm a poor miser. It proved to be a bit of a hack and slash job getting it made. This was also the first time I'd ever stretched a canvas. A flood of firsts.

A huge thank you to ZIP 37 and judge Dana Cain for picking my piece. Given my aversion to being around anyone, my wife and I spent all of 3 minutes viewing the show. We stepped inside the cramped space, revolved around and disappeared out into the safety of a balmy summer dusk. But it was fun. Check after the break to see the work in its churlish splendor.




No comments:

Post a Comment