Thursday, February 25, 2010

Olympic Torches


Olympic Torches, 2010. Sketch and Photoshop.

Inspired by the Vancouver Winter Olympics I thought a cool project for a design class would be to design the torch and medals for an Olympic games. I have always enjoyed watching them even if I am not otherwise interested in a certain sport. After mulling over some of those in my head I decided to see if I could put any down on paper. After about an hour I had filled the page. Some of the first designs stem from the Greek tradition of the games: urns, columns, apollo's winged ankles. Some more nationally themed ideas came up as well such as bull horns for Spain and a cannon barrel for France and Napoleon. For the up-coming summer games in London 2012 I rather selfishly styled one from a longbow. Given my surname is Boman I couldn't resist. The New York Times put together a great synopsis of past designs and can be seen -here-.

No comments:

Post a Comment